Description: The Finnieston Crane is a crane and landmark in Glasgow. Once the largest crane in Europe it is now disused but is retained as an symbol of the city's engineering heritage.
The crane was commissioned in 1926 by the Clyde Navigation Trust, the operators of the port and dock facilities in Glasgow. It was built in 1931 by Cowans, Sheldon & Company of Carlisle and assembled at the Stobcross Quay on the north bank of the River Clyde in Glasgow the following year, costing a total of ú52,351. It is officially known as the Stobcross Crane (or, to the navigation trust as Clyde Navigation Trustees crane #7), but its proximity to the (now filled-in) Finnieston Quay has led to its being popularly known as the Finnieston Crane. It is a hammerhead-shaped crane, measuring 60 metres (200 feet) tall with a 45 metre (150 feet) cantilevered jib ľ then the largest crane in Europe. It has a gross weight of around 2,000 tons and a lifting capacity of 175 tons. Its height is ascended by a spiral steel staircase, steepening with ascent.