Description: Built by Canadian servicemen in 1942, the metal bridge is a Callender-Hamilton Truss type to allow passage of wartime tanks over the River Lydden, saving the old masonry bridge a few feet away. When the photo was taken, resurfacing had exposed the wooden double-length-sleeper deck, which was found to be partially rotted and required complete replacement, extending closure of the bridge from 10 days to about 3 months. Previous inspection had not revealed the problem. Consent is needed from the Environment Agency on measures to prevent old timber falling into and polluting the river. Creosote-treated wood of the right length has to be located as modern copper-treated wood is not up to the job. The bridge is of local historic interest.