Description: In Pithiviers, in the Loiret department, approximately 50 km south of Paris, was built at the beginning of World War II prisoner of war camp in order to imprison German soldiers. After the French defeat of 1940, it was used by the French Vichy regime as a transit camp (frz: camp de transit de Pithiviers) for French and foreign Jews interned refugees. Here, in May 1941 during the round of the Open Letters (La Billet Vert du rafle 3700 captured many of the foreign Jews) initially detained.
From here, were then six moves, as well as the transports from Drancy internment camp and a camp of Beaune-la-Rolande, with each 1,000 prisoners were deported to German death camp Auschwitz. Data deportation: 25 June, 17 and 31 July, 3 August and 21 September 1942. 115 deportees from these traits (survival less than 2 percent).
From October 1943 the transit camp served as a detention center for French political prisoners.
The train of 17 July 1942 in France as the "convoi n ° 6 du 17 juillet made famous 1942", because in it the first time, women and children were deported in large numbers. It was the sixth of 83 trains of the German occupiers from France to Auschwitz, 928 inmates were in it.