Description: Asch Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield which is located approximately 3 miles south-southeast of As, Belgium (Limburg); approximately 55 miles south-southeast of Brussels.
The airfield was built by the United States Army Air Force IX Engineer Command, 852nd and 846th Engineer Aviation Battalions in November 1944.
Known as Advanced Landing Ground "Y-29", the airfield consisted of a single 5000' (1500m) Sod runway aligned 06/24. In addition, tents were erected for billeting and also for support facilities; an access road was built to the existing road infrastructure; a dump was created for supplies, ammunition, and gasoline drums, along with a drinkable water; and a minimal electrical grid for communications and station lighting was installed.
Combat units stationed at the airfield were the 366th Fighter Group, which based P-47 Thunderbolt fighters at Asch from 19 Nov 1944-11 Apr 1945, and the 406th Fighter Group, which also based P-47s at the airfield from 8 Feb-15 Apr 1945. The fighter planes flew support missions, patrolling roads in front of the beachhead; strafing German military vehicles and dropping bombs on gun emplacements, anti-aircraft artillery and concentrations of German troops when spotted.
When the fighter units moved out, the 391st Bombardment Group flew B-26 Marauder medium bombers from the airfield until 27 May 1945.
With the end of the war in Europe, the airfield was closed on 20 June 1945. Today, the airfield is abandoned, being a grassy field within a wooded area.