Description: The Richmond Arena was a multipurpose indoor sports facility located in and owned by the city of Richmond, Virginia. It served as the site of basketball games for the Virginia Squires of the American Basketball Association and the University of Richmond. It also served as the site of the Southern Conference men's basketball championship tournament from 1955 through 1963. In addition to basketball, the 6,000-seat arena also played host to numerous concerts and professional wrestling and boxing events. The arena closed in the mid-1980s, but remained standing until the late-1990s construction of Sports Backers Stadium on its site.