Description: The first light in 1868 at this location was a light lit on the beach by Hans Martin Hanson. Hanson had purchased acres here and was concerned about ship safety.
The first official light established by the Lighthouse Service in 1887, was a brass kerosene lantern hung from a post on the side of a barn. Hanson was hired to care for the light and was paid $15 a month for his efforts.
The present structure was built in 1913. On June 1, 1913, the light went into service.