Description: When Finland declared its independence in 1917, this provided added impetus for the construction of a new Parliament House. The shortage of state funds and the civil war of 1918 caused the project to be postponed, however, and Parliament had to meet in rented premises.
In 1923 a competition was held to choose a site for a new Parliament House, and an architectural competition was arranged the following year. This was won by the firm of Borg-Sirén-Åberg with a proposal called Oratoribus ("for the speakers"). J.S. Sirén, who was mainly responsible for preparing the proposal, was given the task of designing Parliament House. The building was constructed in 1926-1931 and was officially inaugurated on 7 March 1931