Description: First occupied by Gala Amusement Park, the site was turned into a 105-acre private flying field in 1929. Ground was broken on September 9, 1937 for a new airport, which was built jointly by the City of New York and the Federal Works Progress Administration.
New York City Municipal Airport was dedicated on October 15, 1939. On November 2, 1939, the name was changed to New York Municipal Airport-LaGuardia Field. On December 2, 1939 the airport was opened to commercial traffic.
On June 1, 1947 the airport was leased to the Port Authority and renamed LaGuardia Airport, after one of New York City's most celebrated figures, Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia. A new Central Terminal Building was opened in 1964, enlarged in 1967 and again in 1992. The airport celebrated its 65th anniversary of commercial flight on December 2, 2004.