|Wreck of the ship in Kiel, photgraphed shortly after the war.|
From July 1945
Work on breaking up the wreck began under the supervision of the British authorities. All valuable metals and the gunhouses and turrets were removed before the bare torso of the ship was abandoned where she lay.
When work commenced on the new naval arsenal, the remains were covered over with rubble to become the foundations for a large car park.