|Toul was known to the Romans as Tullum Leucorum, and was the capital of the Gaulish tribe of the Leuci.|
In 870, by the Treaty of Meersen, Toul became part of East Francia, the later known as Holy Roman Empire. During the High Middle Ages, it became an imperial free city. Toul was annexed to France by King Henry II in 1552; this was recognized by the Holy Roman Empire in the Peace of Westphalia of 1648. It then was a part of the French province of the Three Bishoprics.
It is not known precisely when the impressive stone ramparts were first built, but there appears to have been a fortified town at this location since the earliest recorded history.
Today, the ramparts that encircle and define the old town are from Vauban in a classical bastion design. They are built of dressed white stone, and topped with grass, and in places are over five metres high.
During the siege of 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War, the last time that Toul's defenses were used as a classical fortress, 64 guns opened fire at 6am on September 23, and the fortress surrendered at 3pm after 2,433 shells had been fired.