|The 67-foot Peace Arch is jointly maintained by the United States and Canada. The concrete structure was the inspiration of Sam Hill, railroad builder and industrialist. Construction (begun in 1920) was completed Sept. 6, 1921.|
The Arch commemorates the signing of the Treaty of Ghent in 1814 and the Rush-Bagot Agreement in 1817. Entered into by the King of England and U.S. President Monroe, these treaties provided for an unguarded United States/Canadian border from the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Bay of Fundy. Both treaties resulted from the War of 1812 with Great Britain.