|In 1945, the state highway departments of Delaware and New Jersey authorized construction of a Delaware River crossing between New Castle and Pennsville. On July 13, 1946, Congress authorized construction of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Construction of the first Delaware Memorial Bridge span began on February 1, 1949.|
From tower to tower, the main span of the Delaware Memorial Bridge measures 2,150 feet long. Including approaches, the bridge measures approximately two and one-half miles long. The two 4,100-foot-long main cables are 20 inches in diameter. Each cable is composed of 19 strands, and each strand is made up of 436 separate 3/16-inch-diameter steel wires. Together, approximately 12,000 miles of wire were spun for the span. The main cables are spun across the bridge's two 417-foot-high towers, which together help suspend the roadway 188 feet above the Delaware River.