|Fort Flagler was built along with Fort Casey and Fort Worden to form a "triangle of fire" to protect the entrance to Puget Sound at Admiralty Inlet, and gun batteries in each of these forts face Puget Sound. Situated on the western side of Puget Sound, Fort Flagler's batteries face eastward. In addition to the gun emplacements, the fort has historical barracks and officers' quarters, concrete bunkers, and a small lighthouse at Marrowstone Point, now a USGS field station. Fort Flagler was completed in 1907 and was in operation until 1953. It was purchased as a state park in 1955. |
Fort Flagler was named after Brigadier General Daniel Webster Flagler, the Chief of Ordnance of the Army of the Potomac during the Civil War and Chief of Ordnance of the United States Army from 1891 - 1899, who is buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.