|Another base in Hamburg was the mostly similarly constructed "Fink II", built from 1940 to 1942 with an overall length of 139 m and a width of 153 m, containing five boxes of 22,5 m width each after the final completion. Fink II was built on existing land and then dug out from there, and the Ruesch-Canal which led to the basin was widened. The fifth box was not constructed until April 1944, and as it was added after the rest was completed, it had to rest on the roof of box 4 and thus was higher than the rest. 130000 m size="-1">3 concrete were used, 105000 m3 earth excavated. There was space for 15 U-boats of the types VII, IX or XXI, so it was the largest base in Germany (The never completed, larger "Valentin" in Bremen-Farge was only a yard). The total weight was 263000 tons. |
The first air-raid on Fink II was on April 4th 1945, but it proved to be a total failure with not a single hit. An attack with two Grand Slams and 15 Talleyboys five days later also caused rather minor damage though two VIIC boats were damaged by splinters and one floating dock sunk with U-677 and U-982 in box 5. Some walls settled or moved up to 45 cm. But also 15 civilians having sought shelter in the base were killed, 77 injured.
On October 17th 1945 Fink II was blown up with 30,3 t explosives, including 300 bombs. The roof crashed down, and the walls were partially cut off. Towards the end of the 40s some demolition work was started, but it was not until October 1956 that the complete removal of Fink II began. Today there are no remains of the base, the whole area was filled up again with sand from the river Elbe.