|This is an aerial photo taken in 1947. The deserted camp still remains. |
Niigata City was the site of two POW Camps during the Second World War. It was the first major influx of foreigners to Niigata in the history of the city.
Many of the POWs that were at Niigata Camp 5B worked on Niigataís docks, loading cargo from Taiwan, Korea and Northern China to support the war effort.