|92d Bombardment Group|
The 92d Bombardment Group was established on 28 January 1942. It was activated at Barksdale Field (now Barksdale Air Force Base) on 1 March 1942. During World War II the group flew B-17 Flying Fortress bombers as a component of the Eighth Air Force. The group was based in England from 18 May 1942 to sometime in June 1945 when it moved to Istres Air Base, France.
The group remained in France until July 1946 when it moved to Fort Worth Army Air Field, Texas. In October 1946 the 92 BG moved again, this time to Smokey Hill Army Air Field, Kansas where they remained until June 1947. The groups final move was to Spokane Army Air Field (now Fairchild Air Force Base) near Spokane, Washington.
In 1951 the group converted to the B-36 bomber. These were replaced in 1952 by B-52s. In June of that year the unit was inactivated and it was 39 years before being reactivated as the 92d Operations Group, again with B-52s at Fairchild Air Force Base.
In early July 1950, 92nd BG B-29s arrived from the United States at Yokota AB, Japan. By the time the entire group completed its deployment on the July 13, its aircraft had already flown a leaflet mission to Seoul and a combat mission against the Wonsan marshalling yards in North Korea. Under control of the FEAF Bomber Command (Provisional) until October 20, the 92nd bombed factories, refineries, iron works, hydroelectric plants, airfields, bridges, tunnels, troop concentrations, barracks, marshalling yards, road junctions, rail lines, supply dumps, docks, vehicles and other strategic and interdiction targets. The 92nd BG returned to Spokane AFB, Washington in late October and November 1950.
92d Operations Group
When the 92d BG was reactivated after 39 years as an inactive unit, it was renamed to 92d Operations Group even though some of its components were flying B-52 bombers. As part of their new mission, the 92d also gained two squadrons of KC-135 tankers. The 92 OG ended B-52 alert duties in Sep 1992, and from Feb 1993, performed air sampling missions for the Department of Energy with modified B-52Hs. The group's mission changed to solely air refueling in 1994. During 1993 the group also had a UH-1 helicopter squadron, but this unit was gone by 1994 as were the B-52s.
Regularly deployed elements during the late 1990s to support overseas tanker taskforces in support of humanitarian, peacekeeping, and contingency operations in the Balkans and Southwest Asia. Today the 92d Operations Group is only responsible for KC-135 operations.
This aircraft realignment was a result of the 92d Bomb Wing becoming the 92d Air Refueling Wing.