|The Kozloduy Nuclear Power Plant is a nuclear power plant in Bulgaria situated 200 km north of Sofia and 5 km east of Kozloduy, a town on the Danube river, near the border with Romania. It is the country's only nuclear power plant. The construction of the plant began on 6 April 1970.|
Kozloduy NPP manages six pressurized water reactors with a total output of 3760 MWe at present. Four are VVER-440 V230 reactors and, under a 1993 agreement between the European Commission and the Bulgarian government, Units 1 and 2 were taken off-line at the end of 2003. Units 3 and 4 were taken off-line at the end of 2006, immediately prior to the Bulgaria's accession to the European Union. Units 5 and 6, constructed in 1988 and 1993 respectively, are newer VVER-1000 reactors.
Prior to shutdown of units 3 and 4, the plant produced 44% of Bulgaria's electricity supply, and allowed the country to export about 20% of its electricity production. With units 1 and 2 taken off-line, Bulgaria, in of March 2006, exported about 14% of its electricity.
On 13 February 2008, the Government of Bulgaria decided to set up a state-owned energy holding company. The holding company will be composed of gas company Bulgargaz, power company NEK EAD, Kozloduy Nuclear Power Plant, Maritza-Iztok II thermal power plant, and the Mini Maritza Iztok (Maritza Iztok mines).