|This XIIIth and XVth centuries edifice dominating Dronne river is in fact two castles which are implanted in a carved surrounding wall marrying the curves of the rock: |
the medieval castle of the counts of Perigord and, very close, the Renaissance castle which replaced the castle of the Barony today disappeared.
The first one possesses all the characteristics of its era: thick walls (2,40 m of thickness), donjon, machicolation, the other one is all in shroudness, sober and elegant.
We can admire notably the richly decorated rooms of splendors, as well as the luxurious paintings of the "Golden Lounge" which had been prepared by the sénéchale to receive Catherine de Médicis... who never came.
Bourdeilles castle shelters a prestigious collection of XVth to XIXth furniture, a true museum, notably the bed of Charles-Quint(the Fifth)adorned with golden sculptures. We can also admire there beautiful XVIth French-style tapestries as well as an impressive collection of XVIth and XVIIth Spanish and Burgundian furniture.
The decoration of the ceilings from Bourdeilles castle was realized from 1641 till 1644 by Ambroise Le Noble, an Italian painter of the school of Fontainebleau,
The castle of Bourdeilles was the head of one of four baronies of Perigord. When Saint Louis gives up Périgord and barony of Bourdeilles to the English in 1259, divisions began in the family of Bourdeilles. The elder sons pledge allegiance for their new lieges, whereas the younger branch, the Maumont, opts for the Capetians. Géraud de Maumont, supported by Philippe le Bel, seizes the family castle
where his protector hurries to strengthen and provide it with a garrison.
It was often besieged: in 1263, by the viscount of Limoges, Guy V, then in 1369, by the English, and in 1375, by Du Guesclin which took it back by arms from the Prince of Wales troops.
After the One hundred years war, king of France give the castle back to the Bourdeilles family which stayed there until 1699. It was then occupied by Henri Bertin, Louis XV's Chancellor of the Exchequer. In 1824, it was bought back by a member of the Bourdeilles old bloodline, and in 1962, Mr. de Bossu-Walcourt, their heir, offered it to the department of Dordogne.