|Before the necessity to defend the city of Cartagena, port and military shipyard, of attacks by sea, were constructed between centuries XVIII and principles of the XX a series of coastal artillery batteries, the majority fortified with bastions (of the Spanish school), and other casemated ones. Some of them conserve tubes of century XVIII and other enormous tubes of principles of century XX. There is altogether eighteen coastal artillery batteries, most equipped with artillery and the rest destined to light projectors for the air defense.|
The battery of Ash-gray dates was constructed in 1931 on another previous construction of century XVIII.
To this construction of neoclassic style it is acceded through a great entrance of Mayan style. The entrance is inspired by the Temple of the White Soldiers of the ruins of Chichen-Itzá, having simulated gigantic serpents emplumadas with the head in the base and the crótales like capitals.
In the interior there are several buildings, and the two identical guns where built by Vickers in 1923 with a maximum range of 35,000 meters and a tube of 18.6 meters in length and more than 88,000 kilograms of weight.
Its objective one was the defense of the coast to avoid that the enemy approached a distance to which could reach the military objectives.