|Opened: From August until September 1944. Temporary POW Camp to replace the original Stalag Luft VI, which was closed in July 1944 after complains by Red Cross.|
Camp Description: In summer 1944, Stalag Luft 6 far away in the East was closed, not only because of complaints from the International Red Cross but also because of the Russian pressure against the Germans along the Russian front. The POWs of Luft 6 were transported to the new Luft 4. Luft 4 opened on May 12. Up to 6500 POWs lived here. Once this camp was full, allied officers were taken to the Luft 1 and 3 like before. Enlisted men were taken to Luft 4 near Grosstychow -- and for five weeks to the brand new Stalag Luft 6 in the west of German Reich at St. Wendel.