|RAF Hornchurch is most famous as a battle of Britain airfield. It was known as Sutton's Farm during the First World War and was operational on 3 October 1915.|
During World War II the station was a Sector Airfield of RAF Fighter Command's 11 Group, covering London and the south east of England during the Battle of Britain in 1940. By this time, its command centre was in Romford, and a satellite station, an advanced attack outpost at RAF Rochford. Following the war, Hornchurch was home to Flying Training Command's Aircrew Selection Centre for 10 years before it moved to RAF Biggin Hill and the RAF station at Hornchurch closed in July 1962.
Aerial photo taken 1947.