|Bridge over Kwai river (3d model) "first construction of the steel bridge"|
The eleven span bridge spanning the Mae Klong river (renamed Kwai Yai river in 1960). Dismantled by the Japanese in Java and transported to the site in 1942, the bridge was rebuilt using prisoner of war (POW) labour, and opened for use in April 1943. One span of the bridge was destroyed by Allied aircraft mid February 1945. Two more spans were dropped during raids between April and June 1945.
see the (Actual steel bridge post) for the reconstruction model and actual.