|Is one of the biggest 19th century fortresses in Poland. It is located near the town of Modlin on the Bugonarew river, some 50 kilometres north of Warsaw.|
In 1806-1812 a fortress was constructed here by the orders of Napoleon Bonaparte. It was later expanded by Russians in the 19th century and renamed to Novogeorgiyevsk. That was one of the western Russian fortresses. Intended as a major stronghold guarding the bridges over Vistula and Bugo-Narew, it was captured by German forces during the First World War in 1915, with little resistance from the already-routed Russians.
After the First World War Modlin became part of Poland and was modernised with modern bunkers, anti-tank and anti-aircraft equipment. Its main purpose was to provide cover for Warsaw from enemy attacks from the North. The fortress also housed several military barracks and military colleges for NCOs.
Modlin fortress was the place of Battle of Modlin during the Polish September Campaign. It was one of last Polish units to capitulate.