|Following Hitler's declaration in 1933 that Nuremberg should be the "City of the Nazi Party Rallies", it was decided that monumental buildings be built for the NS mass events on a suitable open area of ground. In 1934 Albert Speer, Hitler's favourite architect, was commissioned to draft an overall plan for the Nazi Party Rally Grounds. The area utilized by Speer was 11 square kilometres in size. What remains of the buildings still cover ca. 4 square kilometres of this area today. It is also known as the Reichsparteitagsgelaende.
hope this link helps