Google Earth Hacks | File Downloads | Categories | Most Popular | Newest | Top Rated | By State | By Country
Google Earth Hacks Login | Register    
Logging in will reduce the number of ads that you see    
(advanced search)

Subscribe in a reader Get updates by e-mail Follow GEH on Twitter Follow Mickey on Twitter

Dig Deeper

Google Map of Kientzheim enclosure

Info Map Comments (0) Related Files

Kientzheim (Conesheim) is quoted as of 785.
Various seigniories shared it during the Middle Age, most of the time it depended on the seigniory of Hohlandsberg which belonged to the Habsbourg.
The village was pawned to the Count of Lupfen in the 15th century. This one established himself there, had the castle built, surrounded the village with ramparts towards 1430 and conferred to it the privileges of a city in 1460.

During the 16th century, the village became the property of Lazarus von Schwendi, general of the emperor during the war against the French and the Turks.
It was this same Lazarus von Schwendi who either introduced on his lands a new type of vine called Tokay (so says a strong legend), or brought back of his tour some wine of Tokay.

After the Thirty Year's War, Kientzheim, fell down to the level of a village.
Kientzheim was also heavily damaged during the battle of the "Poche of Colmar" (German resistance strong point) during the winter 1944 - 1945.

Numerous buildings to be seen in this Picturesque village:
-Remains of a Roman villa.
-The castle of the Schwendi, from the end of the 16th century, nearby the Eastern fortified gate currently belongs to the brotherhood called "Confrerie Saint-Etienne d'Alsace", an oenological association which works for the preservation of the tradition of local wine making, know how and quality.
-An other castle belonging to the Reichenstein, dating from 18th century, is located close to the western gateway.
-Beautiful remnants of the ramparts with a gun-hole in the shape of a laughing mask, known as "Laili".
-Numerous old houses.
-Chapel Saints Felix and Regula, entirely rebuilt after the terrible destruction of 1944 with restored to origin popular ex votos dating from the beginning of the 18th and of the 19th centuries.
-The " Our Lady's church " dating of 1722 with its bell-tower-choir from the 15th century, graves of the lords of " Schwendi " going back to 1584 and 1609, the Gothic ossuary beside the bell-tower and baroque altars.


Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way

"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.

Google Earth Hacks © 2005 - 2018 MickMel, Inc - Privacy Statement

GEH in the News - GEH en Espaᯬ - GEH auf Deutsch - GEH en Fran硩s