|Membury airfield was scheduled for construction for RAF operational training use. The major construction work was done in the spring and summer of 1942 to enable Membury to be ready for use that autumn. |
br> Membury was built to the bomber standard of the time and consisted of three runways of 4,554 ft (22-04), 3,430 ft (17-35), and 3,300 ft (27-09). 33 "Frying Pan" hardstands were constructed. Two T-2 hangars were constructed along with accommodations for 2,368 personnel.
While still under construction, on 11 June 1942, the airfield was allocated for USAAF use as a transport or reconnaissance base and later for upgrading to provide maintenance and repair depot facilities. To this end, during early 1943, runway 17-35 was extended to the north to 4,790 ft as the terrain would not allow an extension to be made to the original main runway. 26 additional "loop" hard standings were added and eight pans eliminated. Two more T-2 hangars and additional workshops were erected on what was to be the depot area.