|RAF Chipping Ongar (also known as Willingale) is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located chiefly in the parish of Willingale 2 miles north-east from the town of Chipping Ongar and eight miles from Chelmsford in Essex. |
Chipping Ongar airfield was one of 15 airfields in Essex that was allocated to the United States Army Air Forces by the Air Ministry in 1942. It was earmarked for heavy bomber use. The airfield was mostly in the parish of Willingale and it was by this name that it was locally known. It was built by the U S Army 831st Engineer (Aviation) Battalion, which began work in late August 1942 and was still ongoing a year later.
It was built with three intersecting runways, the main of 6,000 feet being aligned 03-21, with two 4,200 feet secondary runways being aligned 09-27 and 15-33. An encircing perimeter track with 51 hardstands, 48 loops, two large loops and one pan type were also built. Two T-2 hangars were constructed and accommodations in Nissen huts for 2,770 persons were constructed.
The airfield was opened in the early spring of 1943 and was used by the United States Army Air Force Eighth and Ninth Air Forces. It was assigned as USAAF station 162 (JC).