|XVth century castle, it was built by François d' Aydie by 1550.|
Having "supernaturally" escaped the religious wars, the Sling(Revolt) and the Revolution, then the restorations of modern era, this castle is one of the Renaissance houses the most authentic of Perigord. It hesitates between the austerity of the military architecture (moats, covered way, arrow slits, crenellations and powerful towers of angles with machicolation) and the fantasy and the elegance of the Renaissance style.
Roofs, hardly complicated, are covered with perigourdines flat tiles and surmounted by elegant flower of lily shaped weather vanes. The plan draws a regular rectangle, embedded by four powerful round towers.
We reach the castle by a two arcs fixed bridge. Inside, we shall note especially the grand-room, decorated with furniture and XVIIth tapestries of Flanders and a monumental Renaissance fireplace.
Vaulted cellars welcome a museum dedicated to the vine growing. Since 1962, the castle became the property of the cooperative Cellar of Monbazillac (The famous smooth and sweet white wine of which is also gently nicknamed as "Poors' Sauterne")