|James Watt Dock is built on the Garvel estate. Construction began with the cutting of the first sod on the 1st of August 1879, with the foundation stone being laid on the 6th of August 1881. The official opening ceremony took place on the 5th August 1886.|
James Watt Dock was designed by Walter R Kinniple, and built by John Waddell. It was 2,000 feet long, 300 feet wide, and 32 feet deep at low water. An Act was passed in 1880 to extend harbour accommodation in Greenock, giving power to build a massive river wall from the Garvel Point to Inchgreen. This was a massive undertaking and electric lighting was used for the first time in Scotland for public works.