|The Finnieston Crane is a crane and landmark in Glasgow. Once the largest crane in Europe it is now disused but is retained as an symbol of the city's engineering heritage. |
The crane was commissioned in 1926 by the Clyde Navigation Trust, the operators of the port and dock facilities in Glasgow. It was built in 1931 by Cowans, Sheldon & Company of Carlisle and assembled at the Stobcross Quay on the north bank of the River Clyde in Glasgow the following year, costing a total of £52,351. It is officially known as the Stobcross Crane (or, to the navigation trust as Clyde Navigation Trustees crane #7), but its proximity to the (now filled-in) Finnieston Quay has led to its being popularly known as the Finnieston Crane. It is a hammerhead-shaped crane, measuring 60 metres (200 feet) tall with a 45 metre (150 feet) cantilevered jib – then the largest crane in Europe. It has a gross weight of around 2,000 tons and a lifting capacity of 175 tons. Its height is ascended by a spiral steel staircase, steepening with ascent.