|The Blaye Citadel was built by Vauban at the end of the 17th century.
Additional Information from ATTILA:
Blaye is located on the right bank of the Gironde estuary (here over 2 km. wide), 35 km. north of Bordeaux.
In ancient times Blaye (Blavia) was a port of the Santones. Tradition states that the hero Roland was buried in its basilica, which was on the site of the citadel.
It was early an important stronghold which played an important part in the wars against the English (who burnt it in 1352) and the Religious Wars.
The duchess of Berry was imprisoned in its fortress in 1832-1833.
The town has a citadel built by Vauban on a rock beside the river, and embracing in its enceinte ruins of an old Roman fortress.
The latter contains the tomb of Charibert II, king of Aquitaine, and son of Clotaire II.
Blaye is also defended by the Fort Paté on an island in the river and the Fort Médoc on its left bank, both of the 17th century.