|During the middle of the 19th century the Government of Victoria voted the sum of £5000 for the construction of a large equatorial telescope to be erected at the Melbourne Observatory, Australia.|
The construction of the grand instrument was entrusted to Mr.Grubb, F.R.S., of Dublin, Ireland. At the commencement of the year 1868 the telescope was completed.
The Great Melbourne telescope was of a Cassegrain design. The mirror being four feet in diameter and made of speculum metal.
The 48" telescope at the Old Melbourne Observatory was relocated to Mount Stromlo Observatory in 1945 and extensively modified. Unfortunately, the relocated Telescope was destroyed with other Telescopes during the bush fires of January 2003.
Melbourne Observatory is located in the Royal Botanical Garden grounds.