|The Kremlin Wall Necropolis in Moscow emerged in November 1917, when 240 pro-Bolshevik victims of the October Revolution were buried in mass graves on the Red Square. It is centered on both sides of Lenin's Mausoleum, initially built in wood in 1924 and rebuilt in granite in 1929–1930. After the last mass burial made in 1921, funerals on the Red Square were reserved as the last honor for the notable politicians, military leaders, cosmonauts and scientists. In 1925–1927 burials in the ground were replaced with burials of cremated ash in the Kremlin wall itself; burials in the ground resumed with Mikhail Kalinin's funeral in 1946. The practice of burying on the Red Square terminated with the funeral of Konstantin Chernenko in March 1985. Kremlin Wall Necropolis was designated a protected landmark in 1974.