|Mistra Battery is or was one of the most beautiful coastal batteries built in the Mellieha area. Nowadays it is being used as a fish-farm, where a number of alterations were made on it, destroying also parts of it. |
Although the building of a battery was mentioned in the report prepared by the commissioners of fortifications Fontet and DíArginy, it seems that this battery was not built in 1714. In fact Maigretís report written in 1716 does not mention this battery. Probably the battery was built in 1761 on the insistence of the military engineer Bourlamaque. During this period there was Grand Master Manoel Pinto de Fonseca. During this time there was a small revival in the building of new coastal fortifications. These were the coastal entrenchments. Bourlamaque also emphasised on the building of new coastal batteries and Mistra Battery seems to be one of them.