|The airfield known as Northrup Strip is located in a salt/gypsum area called Alkali Flats.|
This area was first used as an airfield in the late 1940s, when Northrop Aviation Corporation used the natural landing area for target drone projects.
The strip was unofficially called "Northrop Strip" through association with the contractor.
The Northrop Strip area became part of the Army's White Sands Missile Range in 1952.
An early press release contained a typographical error, misspelling Northrop as "Northrup".
The error was reproduced in subsequent releases, and later signs, route markers and official Army maps carried the name "Northrup Strip", making it quasi official.