|RAF Lavenham (also known as Cockfield) is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 7 miles N of Sudbury in Suffolk. |
Lavenham airfield was built during 1943. The technical site and administrative buildings were on the southern side of the airfield as were most of the dispersed temporary buildings which gave accommodation for 2,900 personnel. Concrete for the runways and three-and-a-half miles of perimeter track totalled 190,000 cubic yards and that for roads and buildings 52,000 cubic yards. Bricks used in buildings ran to 4,500,000 and excavations for all sites amounted to 679,000 cubic yards.
The airfield was opened in April 1944 and was used by the United States Army Air Force Eighth Air Force. Lavenham was given USAAF designation Station 137 (LV).
After the war, the field was closed in 1948. Today the airfield has now reverted back to agricultural use. While many of the roadways remain, the concrete has cracked, and nature is gradually encroaching. The runways have been removed to a large extent although a few sections do still remain. These are mainly used as roads for farming purposes such as haystacks and bales. The buildings, by and large, still exist, but are in various stages of dilapidation. The exception is the Control Tower, which is maintained