|In 1942, with World War II raging in Europe and the Pacific, the Navy set out to build 17 blimp hangars across the nation as the anchor for a network of blimp squadrons that would patrol the Pacific, and act as escorts for coastal convoys. Two of those hangars were located at the newly opened Naval Air Station Tillamook.|
A hard winter drug out construction of Hanger B for nine months. Following its completion in the spring of 1943, Hangar A was erected in a mind-boggling 27 days. Of equal importance is the fact that not a single major injury or fatality occurred during the construction process.
The hangars themselves were of colossal proportions. Hangar B, at 1,072 feet long, 296 feet wide and 192 feet tall (over 21 stories tall, 1/5 mile long and a football field wide), is the Port's country skyscraper today, easily dominating the skyline south of town. The enormous doors measure 120 feet tall, and weigh 180 tons each. When they are open, they provide an opening 220 feet wide.