More than 700 years ago, (1266), the Augustine-eremits in and the densely populated metropolis of Thuringia flowering already at that time established itself. To some discrepancies with the advice at that time they returned 1276 to short driving out again. The 1131 delighted parish church St. Phillipi and Jacobi were assigned to them. The monks referred from that 12. Century coming Hospice to the Comthurgasse and began 1277 with the structure of the monastery.
In the following years the existing church was converted and extended. In order to be able to cover the costs of the construction work, the Augustine-eremits alms collected, preached in the surrounding churches and by the population of Erfurt by drains in the context of the Absolution and also with building materials was supported.
Up to the year 1518 could be established in such a way Katharinen-chapel, chapter hall, cloister, nave, church tower, Priory, library and Waidhaeuser. Still today from many visitors from the in and foreign countries admired and windows of the Augustine-church ranking among the oldest coloured glass windows in Erfurt originate already from the years 1310 and 1340. In the lectures the monks exerted a large influence on the population and like today still by the external pulpit at the north side of the church to be testified can, the services also in the free one were held. The principal interest of the medal applied however for the science and the teachings. The monastery already at that time possessed a general study, which by that 1315 were developed and led from Paris come Heinrich of Friemar.
Already at the beginning 14th Century existed an important and valuable monastery library, which increased by donations and copies rapidly. When 1392 the Erfurt University was created, the Augustine-hermit Angelus de Dobelin took over the Professorship for theology. On the occasion of an extensive book donation at the beginning 16th Century took place the building of a separate library building, into which the collection could draw 1516. At the beginning of this century, in the years 1505 to 1511 the Augustine-monastery was point of food of a young man, whose name in the whole world is connected with the prominent forces of the reformation. Martin Luther - he lived here as monk, after it had broken his study off from own will on 17 July 1505 at the important Erfurt university and had seized the resolution, monk to become. 1507 were Martin Luther ordained to the priest and read on 2 May 1507 into the Augustine-church its first fair. Severity of religious and ascetic exercises after an exactly regulated daily plan as well as an medal-internal scientific further training determined its life over years as monk.
After own expressions he experienced most coining/shaping years of living in the Augustine-monastery.
Today valuable documents are to be visited in the permanent exhibition "BIBLE MONASTERY LUTHER". In the year 1522 Johannes long, a very good friend Martin Luther transferred, after its return from Wittenberg the office of the Priors in the Augustine-monastery and smoothed for the theories of Luther in Erfurt and environment the way. 1522 he withdrew with many other monks from the convention. The Augustine-church was handed over three years later the Johannes-church and 1556 died the last monk. 1559 were secularized the Augustine-monastery. In order to protect the monastery the decay or outline, starting from 1561 the west wing and the Priory were used as Evangelist advice High School. The pupils used the former Dormitory (sleep hall of the monks) temporarily as living range. The High School was an educational facility with reformatory spirit, which should educate the future ministers, headmaster and officials.
Due to sinking numbers of students the school had to be closed however 1820 again.
1646 drew the library of the Evangelist Ministry into the old monastery building. The former monastery library had been destroyed to a large extent after the reformation. By donations, in addition, allowances of the town councillor and the cure prince it was possible that the east wing of the monastery purged strongly, the building with access balcony and guesthouse could be new and/or converted, in order to use these starting from 1669 as the premises for the again-created Evangelist orphanage. 1821 were torn off the new Priory because of state of decay. West wings, old Priory, intermediate's building, library and Waidhaeuser were used from now on by the Marien-church, which had the education of morally orphant children to the task. Since the buildings of the monastery plant were in no good condition, it succeeded to let the west wing and the Priory renew with the help of the Prussian king Friedrich William IV between 1840 and 1846 after drafts of Karl Friedrich Schinkel changes and. Here also the connecting corridor between west wings and library developed.
Since the renovation and the baroque equipment of the church in the year 1617 for a long time no reorganization had taken place, was this at the beginning 19th Century in a very bad condition. Despite some implemented repairs it had to be closed 1844 because of state of decay. An asking letter at king Friedrich William IV brought the turn: the Augustine-church was restored 1848 as conference house for the union parliament with public funds in the again-gothical style. 91 delegates of the state house and 223 members of the community center struggled here from March to May 1850 for a draft constitution. Later this was rejected however by the congress of prince. Among the participants was also Otto von Bismarck, whose political career took into the Augustine-church its beginning.
After the retreating longwall system of the church 1852 this 1854 were again concecrated. After a thunderbolt at the tower 1935 cause was offered to make the repair works in the church, planned for a long time. A goal was here, the simple character 14. To restore century, whereby pulpit, organ, altar as well as the roof under the direction of Theo Kellner into its current appearance were shifted. 25 February 1945 was the most terrible day in the history of the monastery. Two English aerial bombs met Waidhaeuser and library, in whose cellar areas Erfurter had looked for citizen refuge. 267 humans lost their life with this tragic event. Only a small girl and a dog could be saved from the rubble. Already in the subsequent year, led of the Erfurt Architect Dr. Kaethe Menzel-Jordan began, under large difficulties the reconstruction of the monastery plant partly destroyed by the pressure waves. The orphanage took 1958 off after the war completely and was dissolved.
After reconstruction of the east wing and modernization of the guesthouse the Evangelist Prayor-school of Wittenberg could draw in 1960. Up to their dissolution 1993 lived and studied over 500 young humans in the Augustine-monastery. The area of west wing and Priory belonged since the secularization of the city Erfurt. After 1669 were given to the Evangelist orphanage by the town councillor of the east wings and the guesthouse in the Renaissance yard, in the middle a border ran by the monastery. By the acquisition of the west wing 1980 also its comprehensive re-establishment could be accomplished. In this decade the Luther exhibition was inaugurated and the library of the Evangelist Ministry referred new areas. 1988 could be opened the church conference home and two years later old persons the Priory were finished, into which the rural dean of the parish Erfurt drew.
In the years 2000 - 2003 became in the Augustine-monastery extensive restoration and modernization measures accomplished. The monastery was removed to a conference and an accommodating place up-to-date. Altogether does the church province Saxonia, the conference and meeting place have, in thank-worth-proves also by financial and idealistic support of the Free State Thuringia, the state capital Erfurt and the Thueringia national office for care of monuments approximately 8 millions? into the monastery invests. Thus the west wing and the houses in the Renaissance yard were reorganized, restored and reconstructed partial. The cloister became 2003, the Walcker organ 2002/2003 and the Augustine-church 2002 with a total investment at a value of approximately 330.000,00? reorganized, restores and partly reconstructed. Today the conference and meeting place can to one move inlet to refer. Extent of utilization was with approximately 70% in the year 2003 and with 70% in the year 2004. The extent of utilization of the conference areas is with approximately 80%. In the year 2003 19,139 guests were led by the monastery, in the year 2004 were it already 21,500 guests.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.