|St. Ansgar Cathedral is for the danish catholic community and was consecrated nov. 1. 1842.|
Saint Ansgar's Cathedral is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in Copenhagen after the Protestant reformation and has been recognized as a center of Catholic life in this country for more than 150 years. It is the seat of the bishop of Copenhagen, Czeslaw Kozon.
The church was completed in 1842 and designed by the architect Gustav Friedrich Hetsch (1788-1864) to replace an earlier chapel on the site. Its form calls to mind a Roman basilica and its festive interior is filled with paintings, sculpture, and many historical artifacts. The church went through a complete restoration during the years 1988 to 1992 directed by Professor Vilhelm Wohlert.
Saint Ansgar's is not however a museum, but a living building with services held every day of the year, and sung services at Solemn Mass on Sunday and religious holidays. The church is open throughout the day.