|The first historic reference to Krenkerup dates from 1367. It was the main village farm and the building is presumed to have been of an oak timber frame construction. The oldest part of the present structure dates back to 1480 and composed a one storey house on solid foundations and built by Eskild Gøye. This structure is now integrated in the eastern part of the north wing.|
The present Manor house was erected as a four winged, two storey complex by Mogens Gøye approx. 1546. He was Chancellor of the Exchequer , and in 1534 he helped King Christian III to the throne and thereby the reformation. Mogens Gøyes daughter, Brigitte Gøye, was borne here at Krenkerup. It was Brigitte Gøye , together with her husband Herluf Trolle that established the well known Danish public school, Herlufsholm.
The next structural change of the Manor was carried out by Palle Rosenkrantz, Lensman of Aalholm and Nykøbing-Falster. A third storey was added to the north wing as well as an eight sided tower. His initials can still be clearly seen on the north face of the north wing.
A fire in 1689 destroyed the southern wing which has never been replaced and since that fire there have only been minor structural alterations to the building.
In 1774 the owner, Juliane Frederikka Christiane countess Reventlow married Carl August prince Hardenberg. The new family name became Hardenberg-Reventlow and at the same time the Manor house changed from being called Krenkerup to the name of Hardenberg. The countship of Hardenberg-Reventlow was created by royal decree in 1815.
Count Henrik Ludvig Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow restored the Manor house in 1938 and changed the name back to Krenkerup in 1939.