|Nyboder is situated close to the train station ěsterport in the ěsterbro District of Copenhagen, Denmark. The buildings where built under order of king Christian the 4th in 1631.|
The main reason for this step was the increasing need of housing for enlisted men of the Royal Danish Navy and their families. The first of a total of 20 houses were finished in 1631 on plots of land outside Copenhagen purchased by the king. In total more than 200 apartments were fitted within the 20 buildings. The buildings have changed colour a number of times since the completion in 1641, ranging from the national colours of Denmark (red and white) to the reddish yellow colour that ordane the walls today.
To this day, the buildings still house enlisted personnel of the army, air force and navy. Priority of enlisted personnel was stopped in 2006 and the apartments are now not only a tourist attraction but also seen as upscale accommodation among people living in Copenhagen.