|Further to the conflagration which partially destroyed in 1779 the first stronghold dating of the XIIth century, the Cardinal de Rohan decides on the construction of a new palace in 1780, and appealed to the architect Salins de Montfort which steers the works until 1790.|
Although the main part of works as well as the roof are finished, bas-reliefs and inside arrangement remain unfinished. The body of the building is of neo-classic style, with Corinthian columns (side gardens) and possesses a facade of 140 m of length.
The building is modified under Napoleon III who makes restore and add two side wings plus a front central body (side city). The building will then know diverse activities among which those of barracks and asylum for war widows.
A third castle will be built at the end of the 17th century at the north exit of the city by a family of the upper middle class. Today, this last one is the Sub-prefecture.
If Saverne was the residence of the princes-bishops since 1417, notably the family of Fürstenberg then that of Rohan, after the Revolution the city stops being the political capital of the territories of the Bishopric of Strasbourg.
Today, the historic collections allow the visitor to get in touch with this prestigious past.
The Castle of Rohan includes since 1858 a museum of art and history(story) and a museum of archaeology: so, on top of its medieval treasure the visitor will also be witness of the Celtic period of the city.
But it would be without counting the inheritance in 1981 and 1983 of the feminist journalist Louise Weiss who bequeaths within this castle-museum its collections of ethnography, decorative arts dating the 19th and of 20th centuries.
This big woman having known all the fights of her century, the Castle of Rohan takes on then an European dimension by exposing the political projects supported by Louise Weiss between 1919 and 1939.