|XVth, XVIth, XVIIth castle. The castle is formed by several main buildings connected with round towers and a big keep, the whole is crowned with machicolation and with covered patrol ways. |
On January 8th, 1358, the castle was taken by the English. Afterward, it became the headquarters of the catholic strengths steered by the "captain Puymartin", Raymond de Saint-Clar, facing the Protestants of Sarlat whom they attacked in 1534.
This ancient noble den had average justice in the village of Saint-Cyprien, and, from 1760, high justice in several villages of the parishes of Mareuil and Saint AndrÚ.
Inside, we shall notice especially the decoration and the high quality furniture, the grand-room with its French-style ceilings, its beautiful wooden fireplaces of the XVIIth with painted panels and the generously decorated panellings.
To note also, a small office completely decorated by 1670 with mythological subjects executed in the tempera, which could be Philippe Lemaire's work.