|Originally constructed in 1927, this installation has changed names and ownership several times. Originally established as Kawaihapai Military Reservation in 1927, it was redesignated as Mokuleia Airfield and was used by the Army Air Forces throughout World War II. The name was changed to Dillingham Air Force Base after the USAF was formed in 1947. The base was deactivated in 1948 and returned to the Army. |
Presently, the Army uses the field for small unit maneuvers of platoon and squad size. Helicopters also use the field for training for both day and night tactical flight operations. The runways are jointly used by civilian planes and commercial gliders and are leased and controlled by the State of Hawaii. The Army maintains priority for use at all times.