|Almost swallowed by the undergrowth, this former RAE Canberra (still in its Raspberry Ripple color scheme) is dumped near the Fire Service in the North Western part of the airfield. Previously operated by the Royal Aircraft Establishment / Defence Research Agency at Bedford. |
This Canberra was originally built as a B.2 and was awaiting collection in October 1953. Taken onto the RAF's charge it was issued to 76 Sqd at RAF Wittering where it flew as a B.2 until it was converted to T.4 configuration just before it left the RAF.
Removed from RAF charge in January 1957, WJ992, now as a T.4 was transferred to the Blind Landing Experimental Unit (BLEU) at Martlesham Heath. It flew these trials for a number of years until September 1962 when it was transferred to Pershore (RRE) for crew training.
After 15 years, WJ992 was the last Canberra to leave Pershore when, on 1 November 1977, it was flown back to RAE Bedford to join the Aerospace Research Squadron.