|The German football/soccer club was founded 1892 as BFC Hertha 92, taking its name from a steamship with a blue and white smokestack. 1923 the name of the club was changed after BFC joyned the other Berlin club Berliner Sport-Club (BSC).|
The founding of the association led the late 19th Century, two 16 - and 17-year-old sibling pairs - Fritz and Max Lindner, Otto and Willi Lorenz - one, where one hand is no longer enough to play only against their own comrades, who wanted to but then also connect to any of the already established associations .
The foundation stone for the foundation should have been placed in a small ceremony in a Berlin restaurant, where one of the young people recalled a cruise with his father.
The steamer was named Hertha, the club name is derived from thereof. By contrast, the tradition that can be the team colors of the club is also derived from the steamer, a myth, neither the shipowner of the ship nor any other shipping company in Berlin, wearing the colors blue and white. The team colors were blue, even for a short time, white and yellow, the yellow color, but accounted for soon after the foundation of the society. Built in 1886, the steamer Hertha runs today under this name in Wusterhausen at the Kyritzer Lake north-west of Berlin.
During time of the GDR the ship was renamed to "Seid Bereit" (Be Ready), later to "Seebär" (Fur Seal or Old Sailor). 2002 it got it's origin name back.