|Strassfeld Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield located in Germany, about 5 miles east-northeast of Euskirchen (Nordrhein-Westfalen); approximately 310 miles southwest of Berlin.|
Strassfield was built prior to World War II as a grass airfield, probably a small airport serving the Euskirchen area.
The Luftwaffe did not use the airfield until March, 1940 when Aufklärungsgruppe 31 (AKG 31), a light reconnaissance unit flying Focke-Wulf Fw 189As, a light, twin engine reconnaissance plane was assigned to the airfield. The FW 189s were used to patrol the Franco-German border area prior to the invasion of the west on 10 May 1940. Shortly afterward, the unit was moved into Belgium, and later France to support the advancing German forces. The only other known use by the Luftwaffe of the airfield was in 1943, when 3 Fallschirm-Jäger-Division (Parachute Infantry Division) was assigned to the field. During the early 1940s, the airfield was improved, with Luftwaffe engineers laying down a 5000' concrete runway aligned 07/25.
American Army units moved into the Euskirchen area in early March 1945 as part of the Western Allied invasion of Germany and the airfield was attacked by Ninth Air Force B-26 Marauder medium bombers and P-47 Thunderbolt fighter-bombers to deny the retreating German forces use of the facility. The airfield was taken about 5 March. Combat engineers from IX Engineer command moved in with the 820th Engineering Aviation Battalion arriving on 10 March 1945, to repair the filed for use by combat aircraft. Ongoing combat in the area and materiel shortages extended the repair time to about two weeks. The engineers laid down a 5000' Pierced Steel Planking all-weather runway over the bomb-cratered concrete runway, and performed minimal repairs to the facility to make it operational. On 29 March, the airfield was declared ready for Allied use and was designated as Advanced Landing Ground "Y-59 Strassfeld".