Google Earth Hacks | File Downloads | Categories | Most Popular | Newest | Top Rated | By State | By Country
Google Earth Hacks Login | Register    
Logging in will reduce the number of ads that you see    
 
(advanced search)

Subscribe in a reader Get updates by e-mail Follow GEH on Twitter Follow Mickey on Twitter

Dig Deeper


Virtual Earth map of Temple of Dakka

Info Map Comments (0) Related Files


Ad-Dakka (Arab: الدكة, also el-Dakka, Egyptian: Pselqet, Greek: Pselchis) was a place in Lower Nubia, which was located approximately 100 km south of the Aswan. The Greco-Roman Temple of Dakka, dedicated to Thoth, the god of wisdom, was initially a small one room shrine or chapel which that was first begun in the 3rd century BC by a Meroitic king named Arkamani (or Ergamenes II) in collaboration with Ptolemy IV who added an antechamber and a gate structure. Ptolemy IX "subsequently enlarged the temple by adding a pranaos with two rows of probably three columns." During the Roman period, the Emperors Augustus and Tiberius further enlarged the structure with "the addition, at the rear, of a second sanctuary as well as inner and outer enclosure walls with a large pylon. The sanctuary contained a granite naos." The Temple of Dakka was transformed into a temple fortress by the Romans and surrounded by a 270 X 444 metre long stone wall with an entrance along the Nile.

A large dromos leads to the pylon which formed the entrance to the temple and each of the pylon's towers are decorated in high relief and bear numerous graffiti from visitors, mostly in Greek but some in Demotic and Meroitic script. Inside the gateway, the Meroitic king Arqamani "is shown on the left sacrifing to Thoth, with Tefnut and Hathor above and Isis below." There are reliefs of cows offered as gifts to the god Thoth carved into the naos of the Temple of Dakka. While the temple of Dakka was similar architecturally to the temple of Wadi es-Sebua, it lacked a front courtyard of sphinxes; however, its 12 metre high pylon is in near perfect condition. A 55 metre long processional approach ran from the temple's pylon to a cult terrace at the Nile. During the Christian period of Egypt, the facade of the pranaos was converted for use into a church and Christian paintings were still visible here in the 20th century before the temple was enveloped by the Nile floods.

The temple of Dakka collapsed in 1908-1909 and was subsequently rebuilt by Alessandro Barsanti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Dakka



 

Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way

"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.

Google Earth Hacks © 2005 - 2014 MickMel, Inc - Privacy Statement

GEH in the News - GEH en Espa˝ol - GEH auf Deutsch - GEH en Franšais