|Timeslider set to Nov. 8. 2000.|
Ordrupbanen was a bicycle arena in Ordrup at Copenhagen. The arena was built in 1888 and was continued until the year 2000.
Ordrupbanen had its heyday in the vein until the WW2 with the Danish world stars such as Thorvald Ellegaard and Willy Hansen as repeatedly drew full houses for Ordrupbanen. The good bicycle races, often several times a week, the former very large amounts of premium benefit rider issues, and many spectators meant that all the big international names definitely would run races on Ordrupbanen. Then hung the spectators on the roofs around the track which ingeniously came up to 16,000 spectators. After the war it was the riders Kay Werner and Palle Lykke who had a great audience appeal.
In 1896, 1903, 1909, 1914, 1921, 1931, 1949 and 1956 World Championship races took place at Ordrupbanen.
The final race took place on September 2000 marked the conclusion of Danish Bicycle Club's 120 year history of Ordrupbanen. The track was then the world's oldest existing bicycle path. Danish Bicycle Club got 18 million dollars for selling the old runway and the money has been used by the construction of bicycle arena in Ballerup. The area where Ordrupbanen was is today populated with homes and a new era started with the building of Ballerup Super Arena.