History of SWU - Prasarnmit Campus
Like other parts of present Bangkok (Krungthep), what is now the main campus of Srinakharinwirot University (SWU), was, 220 years ago, part of a swampy, monsoonal floodplain fed by the Chaophraya River. Since then, many industrial and technological developments have contributed to the growth and development of its
present site. And, it is on this site that a fine bronze statue of its founder, Dr. Saroj Buasri, nourished our first educators in 1949. Conditions were far from modern and the University was still surrounded by much tropical riverine and canal (khlong) vegetation, aquatic animals and a largely, boat-bound but not-dense, ethnically diverse human population.
In 1949, the University became a reality when the Higher Teacher Training School at Prasarnmit was established. There was then an urgent need for degree-level training for the teaching profession. Prasarnmit was the first of its kind in the country’s history of teacher training. In 1953, it became the College of Education having authority to grant a Bachelor’s degree in Education. Subsequently, more programs at both the Bachelor and Master levels were developed. In 1974, the College of Education became a comprehensive university by Royal Decree of His Majesty the King Bhumibol Adulyadej who graciously named the new university Srinakharinwirot (Si-na-ka-rin-wi-rot), which means ‘the glory of the city.’ Today, situated in the center of Bangkok, the University maintains thirteen faculties, seven research institutes, seven centers, the Graduate School and Demonstration Schools. However, the University’s broad vision of its role in education did not extend to the early acquisition of large building sites in the rapidly developing central Bangkok area. As a result, some of the newer Faculties were later relocated to a new campus.